I'm frequently asked to recommend resources. Some of the most helpful online resources are blogs. I've included all the ones I subscribe to in my blogroll. Other online resources I use include the Adobe Cookbooks, the Adobe Developer Connection and lynda.com.
I also like to have a good book or two within reach when I'm working. I know that makes me old school but I like the tangible experience of highlighting text, jotting notes in the margins, "dog-earing" pages, and having multiple books open on my desk to compare explanations, sample code, etc. And I can spill coffee on a book without doing any serious damage.
Here are the books I tend to reach for while building a database driven RIA. Many of these books are also required or recommended reading for my classes. This is by no means an exhaustive list or a list of the "best" books. Its simply a list of books you are likely to find me using while I work and teach.
- Flash Builder 4 and Flex 4 Bible by David Gassner
- Flex 4 Training from the Source Volume 1 by Michael Labriola, Jeff Tapper, and Matthew Boles
- Flex 4 Cookbook: Real-world recipes for developing Rich Internet Applications by Joshua Noble, Todd Anderson, Garth Braithwaite, Marco Casario, and Rich Tretola
- Enterprise Development with Flex by Yakov Fain, Victor Rasputnis, and Anatole Tartakovsky
- Adobe Flash Platform from Start to Finish: Working Collaboratively Using Adobe Creative Suite 5 by Aaron Pedersen, James Polanco, and Doug Winnie
- Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design by Brett D. McLaughlin
- Head First Software Development by Dan Pilone
- ActionScript 3.0 Bible Second Edition by Roger Braunstein
- Essential ActionScript 3.0 (Essential) by Colin Moock
- Head First Design Patterns by Elisabeth Freeman
- ActionScript 3.0 Design Patterns: Object Oriented Programming Techniques (Adobe Developer Library) by William Sanders
- Advanced ActionScript 3 with Design Patterns by Joey Lott
- Head First PHP & MySQL by Lynn Beighley
- Beginning Database Design (Wrox Beginning Guides) by Gavin Powell
- Learning MySQL by Seyed M.M. (Saied) Tahaghoghi
- Beginning PHP and MySQL 5: From Novice to Professional, Second Edition (Beginning from Novice to Professional) by W. Jason Gilmore
- Flash Catalyst CS5 Bible by Rob Huddleston